The Sky Tower is New Zealand's tallest man-made structure and the Southern Hemisphere's tallest free-standing structure. Based in the heart of Auckland, it is one of New Zealand's most recognisable landmarks. In late 2019, the external lights on the Sky Tower were switched to LED, supporting SkyCity’s climate change commitment to reduce carbon emissions from the Sky Towers lighting by 10%.
Following the upgrade, the number of external lights on the Sky Tower has doubled, with 60 LED lights at the top of the Sky Tower and 96 LED lights at the base – truly lighting up Auckland’s skyline.
SkyCity often lights the Sky Tower for charities or community initiatives that it supports financially, to mark national holidays, milestones or other celebrations or events, or as a symbol of respect or solidarity.
Common colours include:
- Green base and yellow top - Daffodil Day
- Orange at the base fading to yellow at the top - Celebrating Matariki
- Rainbow - Pride Festival and other major events for New Zealand's Rainbow community
- Pink - Mother's Day, New Zealand Breast Cancer Awareness Week, or Pink October
- Blue - Blue September
- Red top with Poppy emblem projection - ANZAC Day
- Red and green - Christmas
- Red and gold - Chinese New Year
- Green - St Patrick's Day
- Red top - Cure Kids Red Nose Day
- Lights off - Earth Hour
To submit a Sky Tower lighting request or to send us your ideas, please view our Sky Tower lighting policy page.